Set on a tall mound in the heart of Old York, Clifford’s Tower is almost all that remains of York Castle, which was originally built by William the Conqueror. The mound on which the tower stands was the “motte” of the original motte and bailey castle which had been constructed between 1068 and 1069. The tower itself was built between about 1245 and 1272 to update the defences of the castle.
Today it’s owned by English Heritage. We meant to have a look when we were in York last year and had picked up a two for one entry voucher , but ran out of time. So we made a point of visiting during our recent short break in York – although had to pay full price!
It’s quite small and doesn’t take that long to look around. But there are some good views over York from the top of the battlements.