An evening stroll along Carding Mill Valley

IMG_2261

Late morning on the Tuesday the rain started to come in, so we spent the afternoon taking it easy in our comfortable apartment, reading and listening to some music. By about 6 o’clock it had stopped raining so we decided to go for a short walk along Carding Mill Valley and take a look at the reservoir up New Pool Hollow. The small reservoir was constructed in 1902 to supply water to the Carding Mill. It didn’t have to fulfil it’s intended purpose for long; the old mill was demolished in 1912 and the factory turned into an hotel and café. Today the reservoir is an attractive feature at the end of a short steep sided valley and is frequented by “wild swimmers”.

IMG_2263-EFFECTS

It was only a short walk up Carding MIll Valley and it’s short side shoot, New Pool Hollow (named after the new reservoir – what was it called before 1902?). We stopped for a short while to take in the view.

IMG_2266

The sun was starting to break through the cloud and it looked like it might develop into a pleasant evening, so we extended the walk by taking the high level path back along the valley before walking further up the main valley.

This is the view of the reservoir’s dam, looking back from the high level path.

IMG_2273

and looking down towards Church Stretton from further along the path.

IMG_2274

Rejoining the main valley

IMG_2277

One of the locals taking a look at us!

IMG_2279

A little before the intersection with Lightspout Hollow we turned round and headed back – it was getting close to tea time.

IMG_2280

Passing the old factory building which has been converted into flats,

IMG_2284

and then the National Trust shop and café in the Swiss Chalet.

IMG_2287

IMG_2288

After a short while we arrived back at Arden House

P8082067

We chose the right time to go out – an hour after we got back it was raining heavily again.

Advertisements

Castlerigg Stone Circle

P3110525 (2)

A couple of miles to the east of Keswick town centre – all uphill – we came to the Castlerigg Neolithic stone circle..Four and a half thousand years old, with 38 stones (some claim more!) laid in a flattened circle in the middle of a field surrounded by some of England’s highest mountains with Skiddaw and Blencathra to the north and Helvelyn to the south east. The high peaks were shrouded in low cloud, but that only made it more atmospheric

It is not just its location that makes this one of the most important British stone circles; considered to have been constructed about 3000 bc, it is potentially one of the earliest in the country. Taken into guardianship in 1883, it was also one of the first monuments in the country to be recommended for preservation by the state.(English Heritage)

The land is owned by the National Trust and the monument itself is managed by English Heritage.

Being outside the holiday season, and a grey day, there were relatively few visitors, so it was a good opportunity to take a few photos.

P3110527

P3110531

P3110529

P3110531

IMAG6675

P3110534 (2)

A walk along the Edges

DSC00974

The last day of our short break in the Peak District we decided to go for a walk along the gritstone edges to the east of Baslow. We drove a few miles up to Curbar gap and parked up on the National Trust car park. It isn’t very large, so we were fortunate to find a space.

The plan was to walk along White Edge and then return along Froggat Edge and Curbar Edge. We ended up extending the walk by a few miles through the Longshaw Estate.

IMG_0295

Leaving the car park we took the path up to White Edge.

DSC00917

After a short climb we were on top of the ridge where views opened up over desolate moorland – a lonely rugged landscape even though it’s only a few miles to Sheffield.

DSC00920

The path was a bit boggy in places.

DSC00925

Out on the wild and windy moor!

DSC00928

Looking north over Froggat Edge we could see the Hope Valley ridge and Kinder Scout in the distance

DSC00932

DSC00927

White Edge is an undulating ridge with a few gentle ups and downs, but relatively easy walking. On one of the “summits” we spotted this stone. Looking closely we could see that there were words carved into it. Being weathered, it was a little difficult to read at first but we soon worked out that it was a poem.

DSC00931

There was a web address carved on the stone too and as the reception on my phone was quite good I had a quick look to find out more. It transpired that this is one of a series of “companion stones”

“Companion stones are a set of twelve matching stones. Designed by local poets and artists and created by sculptors and masons of the Peak, are a similar stature, volume and material as their compeers. Like the guide stoops, each bears an inscription pointing, not to market towns, but towards the future. In doing so, they draw attention to the moors, an indicator of the trick environmental terrain we have yet to navigate” http://www.companionstones.org.uk/

The project was inspired by the Guide Stoops which were erected in the early 18th century to help travellers across treacherous moors, each stoop providing directions to the nearest market town.  This stone had a poem by Mark Goodwin and was designed by Jo Dacombe

image

(Poem by Mark Goodwin)

We carried on along the ridge, deciding to carry on towards Longshaw rather than cutting down to the Grouse Inn. We crossed the main road and set out along the path towards Longshaw Lodge

DSC00937

The Longshaw Estate was once the Duke of Rutland’s shooting estate but was bought by the people of Sheffield in 1928, being passed on to the National Trust in1931. Today it’s a pleasant Country Park which seems to be well used by people from Sheffield and the vicinity as well as visitors like ourselves.

DSC00938

We passed below a gritstone outcrop but couldn’t resist climbing up for the view. A rainbow could be seen to the north east.

DSC00941

After a while the path went through some woodland

DSC00943

before we arrived at Longshaw Lodge where there was a busy little café, so we stopped for a brew.

DSC00946

The lodge was built about 1827 to provide a retreat for the Duke of Rutland’s shooting parties. I believe that it has now been converted into flats.

It was a clear day and there were good views towards  Higger Tor

DSC00944

and Stannage Edge, the other side of Hathersage.

DSC00945

Setting out again we walked through woodland and moorland back towards Froggat Edge. We spotted another Companion Stone, this one designed by Kate Genever

DSC00950

with a poem by Ann Atkinson.

image

Looking back

DSC00952

we left the Estate and then walked a short distance along the road to the Grouse Inn. It looked quite busy and we didn’t need any refreshments so carried on cutting across the fields and through the NT carpark

DSC00954

crossing the road and joining the path that climbed up to Froggat Edge, initially passing through pleasant woodland

DSC00957

Looking back

DSC00959

There’s a small ancient stone circle just off the footpath. It’s not exactly Stonehenge, but interesting none the less.

 

DSC00961

Reaching the top of the ridge there were good views over the steep gritstone cliffs on the north side of the Edge

DSC00965

Along with Curbar Edge tot he south, it’s a favourite spot for climbers.

DSC00966

DSC00970

We carried along the ridge heading towards Curbar Edge

DSC00978

DSC00981

Looking east we had a good view of White Edge that we’d walked along a few hours earlier

DSC00983

We carried on along the ridge

DSC00985

and descended down back to the car park. There was a rather upmarket mobile snack bar which was tempting,

DSC00987

but we had decided to call in at the Chatsworth Farm Shop before heading home and it was getting close to closing time, so changed out of our boots and set off.

It had been a good walk. A lot easier than some we have done lately, but interesting nevertheless, with great views and a little culture too!

Eyam Hall

DSC00725

Eyam Hall is a Jacobean manor house built just six years after the plague that had devastated the small Derbyshire village. Thomas Wright, a local landowner, had it built  as a gift to his second son John Wright following his marriage to Elizabeth Kniveton. The house is still owned by descendants of the original owners who have leased it to the National Trust. This means that the Wright family still own the house and its contents, but they are managed and looked after by the Trust. It’s relatively modest in size  and as it was a family home until relatively recently, it isn’t “preserved in aspic” although there are some historic elements and furnishings.

DSC00707

Visitors enter through the front door into the main hall where we given an interesting introductory talk about the history of the building and its owners by an enthusiastic NT volunteer.

DSC00723

The portrait in the corner is of Elizabeth, the wife of John Wright, the original owner. She doesn’t look so happy!

DSC00709

The large bench come cupboard, one of a pair, is a bacon settle, which was used for storing bacon and cured meats. These settles were included in a 1694 inventory of the hall and were probably bought by the original occupants.

Moving upstairs we looked into the “Tapestry Room”. As the name suggests, the walls were covered with tapestries.

DSC00710

The guide who was in the rom pointed out that they hadn’t been made for this room but had been bought by the owners who had then cut up and patched them to cover the walls as decoration but also, no doubt, to provide insulation. 

DSC00712

Moving into the library where, the NT website tells us, there are 1042 books.  The oldest is Thomas Elyot’s “The Boke named the Gouernour” (London, 1546); a treatise on education and being a gentleman.

DSC00715

The main point of interest was the poem carved into one of the windows extolling the virtues of Miss Fanny Holme of Stockport

DSC00714

This four poster bed with its elaborate carvings was the main interest in the principal bedroom

DSC00716

At first glance it looks quite old and impressive, but in fact, as the room volunteer pointed out, it’s actually cobbled together from various bits and pieces.

DSC00718

There was an interesting collection of old toys in the nursery, including an impressive train set

DSC00719

Back downstairs, the kitchen retains some original features

DSC00722

DSC00720

Outside there’s a pleasant garden.

DSC00727

Due to the time of year, it was looking a little bare and depleted, although some attractive flowers were hanging on!

DSC00726

and autumn colours were evident

DSC00728

The former stables and courtyard buildings have been converted to a craft centre

DSC00706

There’s a small number of shops including a jeweller (complete with workshop), an ironmongers, a cheese shop, a shop selling local beers and gift shops. And a secondhand bookshop – which seem to becoming very common at NT properties.

Mount Stewart – A Walk round the Estate and to the Temple of the Winds

DSC00101

Mount Stewart has fairly extensive grounds to the south of the house and gardens. It was a pleasant day so we decided to take a walk around the grounds. The NT have set out three marked trails. We decided to take the red route which is just short of a mile and a half in length.

We passed through some pleasant woodland and then climbing a hill we reached the Temple of the Winds, an octagonal building the 1st Marquess  had constructed and which was inspired by Classical building he’d seen during the Grand Tour he took in his youth, like many wealthy young aristocrats.

DSC00098

The National Trust rent it out as wedding venue and it wasn’t open during our visit. We stopped for a while, though, as there’s a good view over Strangford Lough.

DSC00096

We carried on through woodlands and fields

DSC00099

DSC00100

Diverting off the route slightly to take a look of the ruined folly

DSC00102

Carrying on back on the route we passed sunflowers in the verges. They must have been cultivated in the fields at one time and seeds have drifted and germinated along the side of the paths.

DSC00103

Back into woodland, some woodcarvers have been creating sculptures using chainsaws. They’d finished for the day by the time we arrived, but we saw the evidence of their handywork..

DSC00104

DSC00105

Mount Stewart Gardens

DSC00108.JPG

The gardens at Mount Stewart are exceptional. So good that they’ve been included on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage tentative list.

The design is largely the work of 7th Marchioness Edith, Lady Londonderry (although I’m sure she had plenty of help!) The National Trust have some good information on the planning and design of the garden which can be downloaded here.

Here’s a few photos

The Italian Garden

The Spanish Garden

DSC00057

The Shamrock Garden

The Sunken Garden

DSC00079

The Informal Gardens

Mount Stewart

DSC00053

Mount Stewart used to belong to the Anglo-Irish Marquesses of Londonderry. They were fabulously rich, their wealth accumulated largely through astute marriage arrangements, and had several homes including a palatial house in Park Lane, London and estates (and coal mines) in County Durham. They effectively used Mount Stewart as a summer “holiday home”.

It has extensive grounds including magnificent formal and informal gardens and woodland walks.

DSC00063

The house has recently re-opened after a 3 year long restoration project costing £8 million. It’s arranged to represent how it looked when it was home of the 7th Marchioness Edith, Lady Londonderry, a noted and influential society hostess in the between  the two World Wars, and her family in the early 20th century.

This is the central hall. Although in the middle of the house, it’s brightly lit by the glass dome above.

DSC00091

During the restoration of the house major work was carried out on the balcony above the central hall which was in danger of collapse. It’s been restored removing heavy iron balconies and redecorating in the original style.

DSC00087

DSC00086

The Morning Room

DSC00083

Lady Edith’s Drawing Room, her “personal space”

DSC00084

DSC00085

The NT website tells us

The vast drawing-room, with ionic column screens at each end, remains much as it was after being decorated in the 1930’s by Edith, 7th Marchioness, who like her mother-in-law before her was one of the great political hostesses of the time. The furnishing comprises quite a mixture of pieces from different periods, including Carrara marble urns and vases, tripod candlesticks, carved standard lamps, sofas, armchairs, occasional tables – all grouped informally as if the house guests were expected to return at any moment.

The family Chapel.

DSC00088

Probably the most famous member of the family was the 2nd Marquess , better known as Viscount Castlereagh. His portrait is hung in the house

Robert Stewart (1769–1822), Viscount Castlereagh and 2nd Marquess of Londonderry, KG, GCH, FRS, PC, MP

Robert Stewart (1769–1822), Viscount Castlereagh and 2nd Marquess of Londonderry (Source: National Trust)

As British Foreign Secretary, from 1812 he was central to the management of the coalition that defeated Napoleon and was the principal British diplomat at the Congress of Vienna. Castlereagh was also leader of the British House of Commons in the Liverpool government from 1812 until his suicide in August 1822. Early in his career, as Chief Secretary for Ireland, he was involved in putting down the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and was instrumental in securing the passage of the Irish Act of Union of 1800.(Wikipedia)

He was honoured by many foreign governments as this collection of medals demonstrates

DSC00089

DSC00090

Depending on your point of view, he could be considered as either a hero or a villain. The poet Percy Shelley certainly falls into the latter camp – Castlereagh features prominently at the beginning of his poem, The Masque of Anarchy which was written in response to the Peterloo massacre

I met Murder on the way –
He had a mask like Castlereagh –
Very smooth he looked, yet grim;
Seven blood-hounds followed him:

All were fat; and well they might
Be in admirable plight,
For one by one, and two by two,
He tossed the human hearts to chew
Which from his wide cloak he drew.