This distinctive building is St Stephen’s church. It’s located at the end of Mount Street which is off the south east corner of Merrion Square in Dublin. It was the last Georgian church to be built in the city. Designed by the architect John Bowden, building started in 1821 and it was consecrated in 1824. It gets it’s name from the distinctive tower with it’s round copper cupola supported by 8 columns.
The other dominant feature is the large portico with a triangular pediment supported by two ionic columns that frames the entrance.
According to the church website:
The tower and portico were consciously modelled on three elegant Athenian monuments, reflecting the shift from Roman to Greek influences in the later Georgian period: the portico (The Erechtheum), the campanile (“The Tower of the Winds”), and the cupola (Monument of Lysicrates).
The design of the rest of the church is relatively simple with plain glass windows and minimal ornamentation. Originally built as a rectangular structure, the semi-circular apse was added in 1852.